Travel Blog | Vacation Guide | Belize Post

Here you can find Belize travel related stories, personal experiences, vacation guides and Belize culture & politics.

Share |
Jan 13, 2010

Me di feel yu Haiti

Yesterday my phone rang, “Did you feel the tremor? I’m checking with you because no one at my house believes me.”  Of course I felt it, I answered. No one believed me at my house either.  


It’s amazing that I being in Belize, thousands of miles away felt a slight shake of the devastation that happened in Haiti. The earthquake, with a magnitude estimated at 7.0, struck Haiti Tuesday just before 5 p.m. about 10 miles southwest of Port-au-Prince. Haiti is the poorest nation in that hemisphere, and such a hit surely will increase the people’s suffering for time to come.
The earthquake was the worst in 200 years in this region, countless buildings collapsed, including a section of the presidential palace, and Haiti met yesterday’s night in blackness since the electricity had been disrupted. Many people in Haiti are **DIRT POOR, they live in small tin-roof shacks that sit precariously on steep ravines. It is said that the earthquake caused significant damage to buildings and countless lives were lost… Life is already bad; imagine how bad it is now.
**Out of curiosity, I once questioned an elder where the term ‘dirt poor’ came from and he answered that it came from the fact that poor people in the past, and obviously some still in the present, couldn’t afford to have concrete or wooden floors and had dirt floors. To the extent of my knowledge, the explanation sounds feasible and I chose to believe that this is accurate.  
-images were found online

0 comments:

Post a Comment

What'ya think?